Workshop: All shortlisted entrants will be offered a place in a workshop that explores research translation and impact, facilitated by Australian course provider Research Impact Academy. This workshop will comprise 3 x 2hr sessions and it will be held online.
Publication: Shortlisted entries will be featured in our annual publication, Why Research Matters, a non-scientific publication that showcases international spinal cord research.
Submissions open Wednesday 2 August 2023 and close at 11.59pm on Sunday 10 September 2023, Australian Eastern Standard Time (GMT/UTC +10).
- Dr Emily Bray, Research Fellow, The Hopkins Centre, Griffith University, Australia
- Stephen Muldoon, Chair, Education Committee, International Spinal Cord Society, Ireland
- Kristine Hendry, CEO, Spinal Research Institute Australia
The judging panel will consider the following questions.
- Does the written piece convincingly explain why the research matters?
- Is the research explained in a way that is easy to understand?
- Is the piece compelling to read?
Special consideration will be given to submissions from authors for whom English is an additional language, and particularly those from countries with low to very-low English language proficiency based on the EF English Proficiency Index.
Your written piece must
- tell us why your spinal cord injury research matters in a way that would interest a non- scientific audience:
- Why is it important?
- Why does it interest you?
- Why should it interest the reader?
- be based on the research you have done or are doing. This could be on the whole of the project or on just one aspect, but it should not be a general review of the area.
- be written for a non-scientific audience; written at a level that an interested member of the public could understand while conveying the significance or impact of your research.
- be no more than 800 words.
To enter, you’ll need:
- photograph of yourself
- photograph or image/graphic that illustrates your research
- an 80 word biography
- your written piece as a Word document with the following specifications:
- 800 words maximum
- 11pt Arial
- 1.5 line spacing
- text only – do not include any images or diagrams in your written piece
- please do not include your name or any contact details in the document
- use the title of your written piece as the file name
Please read the Terms and Conditions for more information.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.